Facts and figures
Sexual Abuse statistics do not make for easy reading.
But it is so important to continue to raise awareness and share the realities.
The emotional impact on someone who has experience sexual abuse is lifelong and extensive.
- 20% of women and 4% of men have experienced some type of sexual assault since the age of 16
- 3.1% of women and 0.8% of men aged 16 to 59 had experienced a sexual assault in the last year.
- Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence report to the police
- Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence
- A third of people believe women who flirt are partially responsible for being raped (Amnesty, 2005)
- Conviction rates for rape are far lower than other crimes, with only 5.7% of reported rape cases ending in a conviction for the perpetrator.
Sexual Abuse Awareness Day is 3rd February.
Awareness days allow us to shine a spotlight on important issues.
Sexual Abuse is a particularly important matter to bring attention to as it is a topic that is not discussed enough.
Sexual abuse and getting support
Many of those that have experienced sexual abuse take a long time to say the words out loud, to even recognise it as being sexual abuse.
There are so many questions that often come up - Did it even happen, am I remembering it right? Why did it happen? Why me? Did I cause it? Will people believe me? What will people think? What if they have done it to others since? Do I have to report it to the police?
When you reach out for support you can work at your pace for helping you to talk about anything that happened, the questions you have, and the impact it has had on you since.
Sometimes just sharing with someone out loud is the first step, whether this be to a loved one, on a helpline or with a therapist.
- Sexual Abuse Referral Centres (SARCs)
- The Survivors Trust
Helpline: 0808 801 0818
- Victim Support
Supportline: 0333 300 6389
- Women's Aid Federation
National Domestic Violence Helpline (24hrs): 0808 2000 247
- Survivors UK - Male Rape and Sexual Abuse Support
National Male Survivor Helpline 0808 800 5005
SMS Text message - text 0786 002 7573
- Bright Sky mobile app
Find your nearest domestic abuse support service using the Bright Sky app.