Today is Sexual Abuse Awareness Day.
Sexual Abuse statistics do not make for easy reading.
But it's so important to continue to raise awareness and share the realities.
The emotional impact on someone who has experience sexual abuse is lifelong and extensive.
* 20% of women and 4% of men have experienced some type of sexual assault since the age of 16
* 3.1% of women and 0.8% of men aged 16 to 59 had experienced a sexual assault in the last year.
* Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence report to the police
* Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence
* A third of people believe women who flirt are partially responsible for being raped (Amnesty, 2005)
* Conviction rates for rape are far lower than other crimes, with only 5.7% of reported rape cases ending in a conviction for the perpetrator.
A list of helplines and services can be found here:
Awareness Days is a series of posts. Please feel free to share this post to raise awareness.
If you'd like to subscribe to future awareness posts, please message me with your email address.